Friday, September 20, 2013

The woods and the wilderness!


One of the things I LOVE about living in the northwest is the beautiful outdoors! I grew up in a home right on the boundary line between rural country and the suburbs, which meant although I didn't live on a farm myself, a friend's sprawling property was never far away. Growing up I got to feed chickens, raise goats, and bike past long fields of wheat with my dad. One of my favorite memories as a child is walking through the woods near a friend's farm and tracing along the creek until it emptied into a deep pool, or peering under ferns and logs for pretty rocks and treasures. 

This illustration is like a celebration of those things - I like to imagine I could walk into the woods and there would be a tree stump who'd volunteered it's surface for playing music and the whole forest could gather and dance. I can just see the story unfolding. The illustration was recycled for previous bits and pieces I've drawn over the past years - one of my favorite things to do. Below you can see in some unfinished drafts how I tried mixing and matching old drawings to create new scenes. Some is old work from art school, other parts are from a wedding invitation commission I did last year. I think the above picture turned out best, what do you think? 


No comments:

Post a Comment